Nick Kline in Carleton-Sur-Mer (Carleton sector) (2012)For the past three years, Nick Kline’s work has addressed psychological trauma and its impact on survivors.
EXHIBIT: STRIPES AND STRIPES
Centre d'artistes Vaste et Vague | Quai des arts | 774, boulevard Perron | View map
Starting August 14, 2012.
August : Monday and Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday to Saturday 1:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
September : Tuesday to Saturday 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., also Tuesday and Thursday 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
New York (États-Unis) | nkline.com
His photographs do not attempt to illustrate trauma but to evoke a mysterious quality of something being both revealed and hidden from a viewer’s perceptions, as it is with the invisible scars of many survivors among us. Overall, Nick Kline’s artwork addresses the relationship of individuals to groups, the space between private experience and public persona, and primal forces of groups in change, transformation, flux, and fluctuation.
His earlier series “Sleeping Drivers” depict limousine drivers sleeping in their cars and “Undercover” reveals clothing at dry-cleaning shops as seen through their plastic bags. Both of these bring individual circumstances into a communal organization.
Nick Kline is influenced by the notion of the “uncanny” and the role of the “wanderer” as explored as a Surrealist strategy for artmaking.
EXHIBIT AT THE RENCONTRES: STRIPES AND STRIPES
The “Stripes and Stripes” series depict images of common men’s polo shirts. Nick Kline finds inspiration for these patterns from news photographs of people in violent and disastrous situations and then he tries to find actual shirts that have a resemblance to them. In this series, the photographs are made by laying the objects on a high resolution scanner. In one sense, they are like photographs of photographs. The shirts have been interpreted through moments captured by photojournalists.
- Open Source Gallery, Brooklyn (United States)
- Project Room Normanns, Stavanger (Norway)
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- Museum of Art of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico (United States)
- Grounds For Sculpture, Hamilton (United States)
- Uno Art Space, Stuttgart (Germany)
Recent or significant group exhibits
- Museum of Contemporary Photography, Benefit Auction, Columbia College of Chicago (United States)
- « Fashionable », Minnesota Center for Photography, Minneapolis (United States)
- « Doing Business: Dysfunctional Corporate Culture », The Contemporary Art Galleries, University of Connecticut, Mansfield (United States)
- Philadelphia Museum of Art (United States)
Distinctions or awards
- Grant, Foundation fort Contemporary Art, New York (United States)
- Honorable Mention, Photo Review, Philadelphia (United States), 2004
- The Photo Review: Nick Kline: Din of Murmurs, Mold (an interview with Karen Irvine, Curator), Museum of Contemporary Photography/Columbia College Chicago.