Serge Clément in Rivière-à-Claude and in Percé (downtown and Bonaventure Island) (2012)The poetic art of Serge Clément was already apparent in his earliest projects, in the 1970s and 1980s. Since 1993 he has devoted himself exclusively to artistic photography.
EXHIBIT: PLATEFORME (PLATFORM)
Montréal (Québec) | www.sergeclement.com
His works have been exhibited in many countries (Canada, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Syria, China and Japan). Since his first individual publication, he has explored modes of expression ranging from classical documentary to expressionistic installations by way of the poetic narrative, urban perspectives and animated film. The many levels of European cities, the diversity of towns in North and Latin America, the fusion frenzy of Asian megalopolises – his turn-of-the-century work is a vibrant fresco of humanity at the threshold of the third millennium.
EXHIBIT AND INSTALLATIONS AT RENCONTRES: PLATEFORME (PLATFORM))
Serge Clément, who last year presented the exhibit “courants ~ contre-courants” (currents ~ counter-currents) in Marsoui as part of the 2nd edition of Rencontres, is back this year with an exhibit and two installations. His project “Plateforme” is a metaphorical bridge built between a photographer and a public, between the Gaspé and the Magdalen Islands. It consists of an exhibit (Percé) and two installations (Rivière-à-Claude and another location to be confirmed), bringing together photographs taken during a number of visits to the Gaspé and the Magdalen Islands (from 1970 to the present).
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “Aux quatre coins... d’ailleurs” (To the four corners…of elsewhere), Ex-Muro - Jardin Saint-Roch, Quebec City, Québec
- “N à Y – couleur” (N to Y – color), Galerie Simon Blais, Montreal, Québec
- “courants ~ contre-courants,” Musée de la Photographie, Charleroi, Belgium
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “Territoire de lumière” (Territory of Light), FotoGrafia: Festival internazionale di Roma, Place Navone, Rome, Italy
- “Ex Nugis Seria: d’Afrique ou d’ailleurs” (Ex Nugis Seria: from Africa or Elsewhere), Maison d’Art Bernard Anthonioz, Nogent-sur-Marne, France
“La photographie hantée par la photographie Spirite” (Photography Haunted by Spirit Photography), Musée régional de Rimouski, Québec
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
- Fond National d’Art Contemporain, Paris, France
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Québec
Distinctions or awards
- Member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, Calgary, Alberta
- Honorable mention, Roloff Beny Photography Book Award, Toronto, Ontario
- Finalist in the Third Annual Mother Jones International Fund for Documentary Photography Grant Competition, San Francisco, California
- N à Y: photographies de Serge Clément, Montreal, Éditions Mai 50.
- Courants ~ contre-courants: photographies de Serge Clément, Paris, Éditions Marval.
- Sutures - Berlin 2000-2003 / photographies de Serge Clément, text by Régine Robin, Montreal, Éditions Les 400 coups.