Guy Lavigueur at New RichmondA specialist in aerial photography for over twenty years, Guy Lavigueur overflies natural areas in order to reveal their unique signature.
EXHIBIT: EROSIVE PORTRAIT OF THE BLUE PLANET
Parc de la Pointe-Taylor | 103, boulevard Perron E | View map
Montréal, Québec | www.guylavigueur.com
His interpretation of the landscapes he surveys with a bird’s-eye view is wholly personal, and his visual research distances itself from that of the documentary in developing a resolutely artistic dimension, revealing the reliefs and hues of the earthly and maritime environments as though they were so many colored forms and fields, close to abstract canvases. Added to the natural sculptures and phenomena captured by the lens are the plays of light, reflection and refraction, dawn and dusk, all of it combining to produce eye-opening views of our planet, of the human achievements that are subtly integrated into it and of the ecological problems we must confront. Guy Lavigueur presents photographic works of an astonishing poetry and of true topicality, inviting the observer to contemplation, but also to reflection.
EXHIBIT AT RENCONTRES: EROSIVE PORTRAIT OF THE BLUE PLANET
The research of Guy Lavigueur for this project revolved around the erosion of the planet brought about by the wind, water, and human beings. Their actions at every moment are influencing the imprint left on the planet’s surface. Every texture bears a road or a track that symbolizes it, a particular mark, a trajectory. The areas overflown, all of them in Québec, are Réserve faunique des Chic-Chocs and Parc de la Gaspésie, Abitibi, Montérégie, Bas du Fleuve, Charlevoix and the Magdalen Islands.
The exhibit offers a series of 26 aerial photos in panoramic format.
- “La dernière banquise” (The Last Ice Floe), Galerie Espace bleu, L’Étang-du-Nord, Magdalen Islands, Québec, June 2012
- Artist residency, Rooms Provincial Art Gallery, Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland, September 2012
Recent of significant solo exhibits
- “Éléments Terre” (Earth Elements), Musée d’art contemporain de Baie-Saint-Paul, Baie-Saint-Paul, Québec
- “Deux escales” (Two Stopovers), Galerie Point Rouge, Montreal, Québec
- “Vert Ciel (Green Sky), Centre d’exposition d’Amos, Amos, Québec
Recent of significant group exhibits
- “Beausir les mots” (Alphabet book of the French spoken in the Magdalen Islands), Centre d’artistes en art actuel Admare, L’Étang-du-Nord, Magdalen Islands, Québec
- Stewart Hall Art Gallery rental service, Pointe-Claire, Québec, 2012
- “L’eau de là” (The Water from There), Centre d’exposition de Val-David, Val-David, Québec
- Musée de la photographie de Charleroi, Belgium
- Fondation Auer pour la photographie, Geneva, Switzerland
- Ronald McDonald Foundation, Toronto, Ontario
Distinctions or awards (selection)
- Member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, 2004
- SURVOL, Biographie (OVERFLIGHT, Biography), commentaries by art critic René Viau, and more than 26 large-format photographs, 54 pages, color, 25.5 cm X 30.5 cm.
- Panorama du Canada, une aventure aérienne/Over Canada, an Aerial Adventure, Rosemary Neering et Bruce Obee, Beautiful British Columbia –The Jim Pattison Group, 192 pages.