Maryse Goudreau in Chandler (2012)Maryse Goudreau was born in Pointe-à-la-Croix, on the Gaspé Peninsula, in 1980. The themes of memory and identity lie at the heart of her research in photography.
EXHIBIT: MANIFESTATION POUR LA MÉMOIRE DES QUAIS (EVENT FOR THE MEMORY OF THE DOCKS)
Pointe-à-la-Croix, Gaspésie (Québec) | paysagecomposte.blogspot.ca
In the course of her research, the docks of the Gaspé struck her as an emblematic testing ground. The falling into disuse, even the disappearance, of a number of them served her as a pathway in creating an analogy with photographic procedures that are dying out. To make that state of things even more evident, she set in motion different public activities that comprise a singular approach in social photography. Maryse Goudreau is the recipient of research, creation and travel grants from the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec. In 2012-2013, Espace F (Matane), the artist centers Vaste et Vague (Carleton-sur-Mer) and La tortue bleue (Kamouraska), the Galerie du Nouvel-Ontario (Sudbury, Ontario) and VU centre de diffusion et de production de la photographie (Quebec City) devoted a solo exhibit to her work.
EXHIBIT AT THE RENCONTRES: MANIFESTATION POUR LA MÉMOIRE DES QUAIS (EVENT FOR THE MEMORY OF THE DOCKS)
Photographer Maryse Goudreau is looking for 400 extras to be part of a group photo that will convey in an image the tragic disappearance that looms over the Chandler dock. The photographer will take a picture with a camera dating from the 1870s and using a process from the time called humid collodion. The image captured on glass plates will be processed and developed in a portable darkroom installed on the dock. The extras will get to discover the mysteries of the procedures of the early days of photography. Participants will also receive a signed copy of the photograph.
- “Bombardements,” Maison culturelle Armand-Vaillancourt, guest of Centre d’artistes La Tortue bleue, Saint-André de Kamouraska, Québec, June to October Residence and exhibit, VU centre de diffusion et de production de la photographie, Quebec City, Québec
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “La mémoire est une arme” (Memory Is a Weapon), Centre d’artistes Vaste et Vague, Carleton-sur-Mer, Québec
- “La mer en mémoire” (The Sea in Memory), Espace F, Matane, Québec
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “L’Art au pied carré” (Art by the Square Foot), 3rd Fair of Alternative Art, Galerie du Nouvel-Ontario, Sudbury, Ontario
- Musée de la Gaspésie, Collection Loto-Québec, as part of the Policy of integrating the arts to the architecture and the environment of buildings and of government and public sites, City of Gaspé, Québec
Distinctions or awards
- Award for artistic creation from the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ) for the Gaspé region, 2011
- L’APPEL (THE CALL), monograph, preface by Michel Campeau and texts by Pablo Rodriguez, Guy Sioui Durand and Adrienne Luce, SAGAMIE Édition d’art, Alma, 2012.
- The magazine ESSE art+opinion, No. 69 – “bling-bling,” article hors dossier: four pages by Adrienne Luce on Maryse Goudreau’s exhibit “Paysage composté” (Composted Landscape), spring/summer 2010.
- Confluences / “de l’île à la mer” (Confluences / “from the isle to the sea”). Curator: Bernard Lamarche. City of Montreal and Musée régional de Rimouski, catalogue, autumn 2009.