Gabor Szilasi in Gaspé (2012)Gabor Szilasi is a documentary photographer recognized for his humanitarian vision.
EXHIBIT: GASPESIAN ENCOUNTERS
Musée de la Gaspésie | 80 boulevard de Gaspé, Gaspé | View map
Beginning June 17, 2012 (open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Montreal (Québec) | cmcp.gallery.ca/szilasi/en/30.htm
His fascination with daily life has led him to search for images that show the traces of man’s presence – whether in photos of people, interiors, vernacular architecture and urban landscapes. The artist has influenced a good number of photographers. Largely self-taught, Gabor Szilasi started to photograph in Hungary in 1952 when he purchased his first camera – a Zorkij. in 1956 he documented the Hungarian revolution in Budapest and shortly afterwards fled the country, eventually immigrating to Canada in 1957. From 1959 until 1971 Szilasi worked as a photographer at the present Office du film du Québec, photographing a wide range of subjects, including Expo ’67. During these years, Szilasi’s technical and practical experience, and extensive travel in Québec grew through a wide range of assignments
EXHIBIT AT THE RENCONTRES: GASPESIAN ENCOUNTERS
Over the last two years Gabor Szilasi has put down roots in the Gaspé during two artist’s residencies each lasting two weeks. Using photography as a medium, in 2010 he documented his visit to the north coast, and then in 2011, to Matapedia Valley by way of Baie-des-Chaleurs. The result of that work will be exhibited during Rencontres in 2012. Additionally, a publication, issued by Rencontres, will be released in 2013.
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “The Eloquence of the Everyday,” McCord Museum, Montreal, Québec, and Kelowna Art Gallery, British Columbia.
- “Portraits marsois” (Marsoui Portraits), Rencontres internationales de la photographie en Gaspésie, Québec.
- “Family” (Family), exhibit organized by the Conseil des arts de Montréal – 2009/2011, Québec.
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “Family Ties,” Gabor Szilasi, Doreen Lindsay, Andréa Szilasi, Michael Merril, Stewart Hall Gallery, Pointe-Claire, Québec.
- “Within Which All Things Exist and Move,” Art45, Montreal, Québec.
- “Urban Rhythms,” a traveling exhibit of the Conseil des arts de Montréal, conceived and organized by Galerie Vox, Montreal, Québec.
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
- McCord Museum, Montreal, Québec
- Fotografiska Museet, Stockholm, Sweden
Distinctions or awards (selection)
- Governor General’s Award – 2010
- Prix Paul-Émile Borduas – 2009
- Szilasi, Gabor, Charlevoix fr/ang., Montréal, Éditions INSTANT MÊME, 2012, 112 pages.
- Harris, David, Gabor Szilasi: The Eloquence of the Everyday, National Gallery of Canada, 240 pages.
- Szilasi, Gabor, Famille (Family), Visual Arts Centre, McClure Gallery, 60 pages.