Ewa Monika Zebrowski in Marsoui (2012)Ewa Monika Zebrowski’s work touches on the themes of memory, place and time. She creates visual narratives often inspired by literature, sometimes collaborating with writers and poets, including Mark Strand and Anne Michaels.
EXHIBIT: UNRAVELING: THE DRESS OF JADWIGA
Édifice Couturier | 1, rue du Quai | View map
Ewa Monika Zebrowski was born in London, England, the daughter of Polish immigrants. She worked in the film industry for 17 years before obtaining a BFA in Fine Arts and an MFA in Visual Arts, from Concordia and UQAM. Her photographic work and artist’s books can be found in public and private collections in Canada, the United States, and abroad, including the Cirque du Soleil, the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Bibliothèque nationale de France, the National Museum of Women in the Arts, and the Canadian Center for Architecture. She has had fifteen solo shows and produced eleven artist’s books. She has won numerous awards, including two grand prix LUX from CAPIC in 2009.
Ewa Monika Zebrowski lives in Montreal with her husband and two sons. She is represented by Art Mûr in Montreal and Millennium Image in London, England.
EXHIBIT AT THE RENCONTRES: UNRAVELING: THE DRESS OF JADWIGA
“A dress that has spent several decades touring the world in a suitcase and that survived the hazards of a long war before ending up in the wardrobe of Ewa Monika Zebrowski. What’s to be done with a family heirloom so fragile and so precious, about which virtually nothing is known, when it’s disintegrating before our eyes? Hanging on to it means already putting it to death.
“Marked by survivals, the images of the Montreal photographer speak to us of transmission and discovery. Exploring the surface and yet profound, peaceful and vibrant, they powerfully invoke what art historian Georges Didi-Huberman calls ‘the vertiginous play of time in the present.’” (Translation of excerpts from a text by Paule Mackrous)
Upcoming solo exhibit
- Solo exhibit, Art Mûr, November 10 to December 22, 2012, Montreal, Québec
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “La Collection selon….. Les Impatients” (The Collection according to…Impatient People), Espace Création Loto-Québec, Montreal, Québec
- “remembering Brodsky”, OKane Gallery – University of Houston/FotoFest, USA
- “of time, lost,” Art Mûr, Montreal, Québec
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “The Photograph (Unframed),” The Center for Book Arts, New York, New York, USA
- “Blue,” The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
- “Book Dummies,” Foto Book Festival, Kassel, Germany
- Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, Montreal, Québec
- Cirque du Soleil
- Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
Distinctions or awards
- Prix LUX 2009 – artist’s book
- Prix LUX 2009 – cultural project
- Quebec Magazine Association Award, Best Photo Essay (Ode à Venise [Ode to Venice] – Châtelaine), 2006
- CIEL VARIABLE/CV 89, Lieux/Places (featured portfolio).
- Domus (online), Dual Exhibitions at the Center for Book Arts.
- Lévy, Bernard, “Ewa Zebrowski: La Vie en Robe,” Vie des Arts, winter 2009.