Serge Clément in Carleton-sur-Mer (Carleton sector) (2013)The poetic art of Serge Clément was already apparent in his earliest projects, in the 1970s and 1980s. Since 1993 he has devoted himself exclusively to artistic photography.
EXHIBIT: “ARCHIPEL” (ARCHIPELAGO)
Montréal (Québec) | www.sergeclement.com
His works have been exhibited in many countries (Canada, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Syria, China and Japan). Since his first individual publication, he has explored modes of expression ranging from classical documentary to expressionistic installations by way of the poetic narrative, urban perspectives and animated film. The many levels of European cities, the diversity of towns in North and Latin America, the fusion frenzy of Asian megalopolises – his turn-of-the-century work is a vibrant fresco of humanity at the threshold of the third millennium.
PHOTOGRAPHY INSTALLATION PRESENTED AT RENCONTRES: “ARCHIPEL” (ARCHIPELAGO)
This year, “Archipelago” is intended as an echo of “Platform,” which at the 3rd edition of Rencontres last summer unfolded in three installations (Percé, Bonaventure Island and Rivière-à-Claude).
“Archipelago,” a nighttime projection photography installation, breaches distances and joins the Magdalen Islands to the Gaspé. The palimpsest projection superimposes urban world, rural world, descriptive, introspective, retrospective, sociology and philosophy – in the perspective of transformations carried out over the last 40 years in this distended area.
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “aux quatre coins... d’ailleurs” (to the four corners…of elsewhere), Ex-Muro – Jardin Saint-Roch, Quebec City, Québec
- “N à Y – couleur” (N to Y – color,) Galerie Simon Blais, Montreal, Québec
- “courants ~ contre-courants” (currents ~ counter-currents), Musée de la Photographie, Charleroi, Belgium
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “Désir de collection” (Collection Desire), Le Réverbère, Lyon, France
- “12 Antworten auf Berlin,” Berlin EMoP_ Kommunale Galerie, Berlin, Germany
- “La photographie hantée par la photographie Spirite” (Photography Haunted by Spirit Photography), Musée régional de Rimouski, Québec
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
- Fond national d’art contemporain, Paris (France)
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal, Québec
Distinctions or awards
- Artistic creation award from the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec for the film D’aurore (2011), on the occasion of the Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois, Montreal, Québec
- Member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, Calgary, Alberta
- Honorable mention, Roloff Beny Photography Book Award, Toronto, Ontario
- N à Y: photographies de Serge Clément, Montréal, Éditions Mai 50, 2011.
- courants ~ contre-courants: photographies de Serge Clément, Paris, Éditions Marval, 2007.
- Sutures — Berlin 2000-2003, text by Régine Robin, Montreal, Éditions Les 400 coups, 2003.