Jocelyne Alloucherie in New Richmond (2013)Jocelyne Alloucherie lives and works in Montreal, and has been exhibiting since 1973. By way of complex configurations, her work conceptually and poetically explores notions relative to image, object and place.
EXHIBIT: “LES DÉVONIENNES” (THE DEVONIANS)
Montréal (Québec) | www.jocelynealloucherie.com
Since the early 1990s, Jocelyne Alloucherie’s work has enjoyed continuous visibility outside Canada, particularly in France, Italy and Spain, where she is exhibited regularly in art centers and private galleries. The artist is represented by Galerie Françoise Paviot (Paris), 511 Gallery (New York) and Roger Bellemare (Montreal). Jocelyne Alloucherie has been the recipient of a number of honors, notably the Victor Martyn Lynch-Staunton Award from the Canada Council for the Arts in 1989, the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst award in 1997, the Louis Hébert Award from the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste in 1999, the Governor General’s Award in Visual and Media Arts from the Canada Council for the Arts in 2000 and the Prix Paul-Émile-Borduas from the Québec Government in 2002.
EXHIBIT PRESENTED AT THE RENCONTRES: “LES DÉVONIENNES” (THE DEVONIANS)
In 2012, Jocelyne Alloucherie did an artist-residency project in the Gaspé, which resulted in the pictures of “The Devonians.”
“I present them like a succession of powerful colonnades framed in space by what would be their white resonance. Sculptural elements evoking a spectral presence. I photographed them early in the morning and backlighted. They seemed to me a little bit to support the weight of the sky and to sink deep roots, through their shadow, to the heart of the Earth’s history. Strange caryatids whose secrets crumble away slowly.”
- Jocelyne Alloucherie
- “Nuage” (Cloud), Musée Réattu, Arles, France
- “Jocelyne Alloucherie,” Darling Foundry, Montreal, Québec
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “Boréales,” MuMa Le Havre – Musée d’art moderne André Malraux, Le Havre, France
- “Œuvres choisies 1997-2012 de Jocelyne Alloucherie” (Selected Works 1997-2012 of Jocelyne Alloucherie), Espace Van Gogh, Place Félix Rey, Arles, France
- “Una realta’ fluttuante,” CRAA – Villa Giulia, Verbania, Italy
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “L’Arbre et le photographe” (The Tree and the Photographer), Galerie d’exposition de l’École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts, Paris, France
- “Acte,” Musée Réattu Arles, Arles, France
- “En pièces détachées” (In Detached Pieces), Galerie Roger Bellemare, Montreal, Québec
- Fond national d’art contemporain, Paris, France
- Musée Réattu, Arles, France
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
Distinctions or awards
- Officer of the Order of Canada
- Prix Paul-Émile-Borduas from the Québec Government
- Governor General’s Award in Visual and Media Arts
- Diana Nemiroff, Jocelyne Alloucherie and Johanne Sloan, Climats, Climates, Jocelyne Alloucherie, Carleton University Art Gallery, 2012, 80 pages.
- Anne-Marie Garcia, L’Arbre et le photographe, Paris, Beaux-arts de Paris – Les éditions, 2012, 157 pages.
- Françoise Paviot, “Jocelyne Alloucherie: Boréales,” in Semaine n°293, revue hebdomadaire pour l’Art contemporain, Arles, Analogues, Maison d’édition pour l’art contemporain, March 2, 2012, 16 pages.