Yves Gonthier in Nouvelle (2013)“The Gaspé Peninsula has been the setting for what is essential in my life as an artist. I’m mostly identified with painting, but photography has always been part of my world.”
EXHIBIT: “JOUER AVEC LA RÉALITÉ” (PLAYING WITH REALITY)
“With the arrival of digital, given all its flexibility and its numerous creative possibilities, [photography] has taken on a new scope in my productions. My photographs are sometimes related to my paintings; they continue and enrich my creative process, taking it to another level. I make assemblages, add or remove elements, choose the framing, reshape reality.”
- Yves Gonthier
EXHIBIT PRESENTED AT THE RENCONTRES: “JOUER AVEC LA RÉALITÉ”
(PLAYING WITH REALITY)
“My art acts like a metaphorical language that I use to question our perception of reality, of the intangible, of the connections between spirit and matter, of Life in the Universe. I’d like to open doors to new knowledge, make values and truths visible that are not understood. Looking at my works you can see the balance between the power of mystery and the components provided for analysis. And if they contain more questions than answers, I’m still keeping an eye open for whatever revelation may appear in or through my visual language and that I might convey.”
- Yves Gonthier
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “Résonances Londres” (London Resonances), contextual creations, London, England
- “Résonances Berlin,” contextual creations, Berlin, Germany
- “Mutations,” Artestudio Morandi, Ponte Nossa, Italy
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “Performedia,” Spazio Thetis, Venice, Italy
- “Art Fair Tokyo,” Tokyo, Japan
- Pesca Environnement, Carleton-sur-Mer, Québec
- Telus, Rimouski, Québec
Distinctions or awards
- Artistic creation award, Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec
- Sourie, Rose. “Yves Gonthier: Empreinte en trois couleurs” (Yves Gonthier: Footprint in Three Colors), in Vie des Arts, Vol. 51, No. 206, 2007, pages 30-31.
- Gazzola, Antida. Id-Entità, GUD art&design, Genoa, Italy, 2006.
- Goyette, Line. La Gaspésie des artistes, Éditions Fides, Montreal, 2006, 123 pages.