Sandra Lachance in Cap-Chat (2013)Motivated by the relationship with the other, Sandra Lachance seeks to decompartmentalize the social classes: she brings art to where it is not expected.
EXHIBIT: “À MON DERNIER REPAS”
(AT MY LAST MEAL)
Born in 1979, she works in both France and Québec. Her creations, which can be associated with the portrait, involve different groups of people, including prisoners, the elderly and fishermen. Something in the way of a journalist, an anthropologist or a theater director, she uses art to get closer to the day-to-day, to reveal its beauty and authenticity, to reduce the encapsulation that our individualism involves. She makes the notion of the “ordinary” denser and develops systems of exploration and narration in a plurality of virtual, fictional and urban spaces.
Sandra Lachance holds a master’s degree in visual and media arts from the Université du Québec à Montréal as well as a graduate diploma from Le Fresnoy – Studio national des arts contemporains in Tourcoing, France.
EXHIBIT PRESENTED AT THE RENCONTRES: “À MON DERNIER REPAS”
(AT MY LAST MEAL)
“In my view, a meal means a moment of sharing, a moment of openness to others. Confidences and eccentric behavior become possible, even desirable. A meal talks about the guests, it evokes a personality, recalls a nature. And yet, normally a meal doesn’t amount to much. Most of the time an everyday, ordinary thing, it possesses a fundamentally feeding-related goal. But personally I want to go further, and consider it a social ritual essential to the expression of men, especially with all the emotional and cultural charge inherent in the last meal. A last look at what were their desires, their hopes, and what shaped their lives.”
- Sandra Lachance
- “Vieux-jeux” (Old Games), Galerie Montcalm, Gatineau, Québec
- “À mon dernier repas,” Centre culturel franco-manitobain, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Recent or significant solo exhibits
- “LOOS matricule 4444” (LOOS Badge 4444), Gare Numérique, Jeumont, France
- “Héros moderne” (Modern Hero), Praxis Art Actuel, Sainte-Thérèse, Québec
- “Participe présent / Participe passé” (Present Participle, Past Participle), Galerie Chatiliez, Tourcoing, France
Recent or significant group exhibits
- “Le temps d’un chantier” (The Time of a Construction Site), Louvre-Lens, Lens, France
- “À mon dernier repas,” ORANGE, L’événement d’art actuel de Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec
- “Participe présent / Participe passé,” Transphotographique 2011, Nord – Regards croisés, Lille, France
- Les flâneuses (Women Strolling), Camila Vasquez, Karen Elaine Spencer and Sandra Lachance (artists), and Bernard Schütze (author), Praxis Art Actuel, Sainte-Therese, Québec, 2011, 48 pages.